Monday, July 26, 2010

Be Kind...




Recently I started reading "The Kind Diet", by Alicia Silverstone. I am not one to diet nor am I one to really ever restrict myself in terms of what I eat. I often find the more I focus on my diet, the more I eat.
But "The Kind Diet", I find pretty fascinating. When I went backpacking in the Himalayas, we basically lived off of rice and pasta dishes. Since we were in such high elevation and carrying around 50-55 pounds on our backs, we needed energy. We stuck to very small meals, and I sustained very well on a completely vegetarian, almost vegan diet. I did put a piece of cheese in my mouth every once in a while.

All in all I have to say, during this time, I never felt better. I can't be too sure whether it was the exercise, diet, or just being in the mountains. But, the overall feeling I had was one of safety, being grounded and feeling whole. I didn't really feel like I needed a whole lot of food to sustain me.

In terms of life and happiness, simplicity is often the answer for me.

After the trip, I arrived home and the minute my parents saw me they couldn't believe my glowing skin. I hadn't worn make-up or seen a mirror in 5 and 1/2 weeks. I had been through rain and snow. I had carried a heavy pack, but I was lighter- mind, body, and soul.

Reading, "The Kind Diet" often makes me think of this time. Alicia, makes you aware of how your body processes everything you put in it- from meat, to dairy, to whole grains, even honey!

In the end, it's all about balance. Balance is everything. Stay centered and align with your emotions and most of all be kind to yourself.

Alicia also has a website, The Kind Life. I encourage you to check it out, if you're interested in hearing more about "The Kind Diet," as well as kind living.

No comments:

Post a Comment