Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Staying Connected




Connection is the theme in our yoga class for the month, and with every inhale and exhale on my mat these past couple of weeks, my mind drifts to that word: connection. When I first heard it, I immediately thought about connection in relationships; the one you have with your friends, spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, parents, siblings, teachers, co-workers, etc. But, as we began to do some grounding poses, I couldn't help but think about the connection I have with myself. If you would have asked me four or five years ago if I felt truly connected to "who I am as a person," and what I wanted I would have had to say no. In life there are so many things/people/subtexts that tug and pull on us, telling us who we are, what we should be, where we should go and what we should do, and we get lost in these voices. It took me a really long time to dig through the "should be's" of life. All of the "should be's" weren't really working out for me. I was exhausted from trying too hard to be and do something that I thought I "should be" doing. My health, happiness and general well being was taking a toll and the risk of not doing what was in my heart became far greater than the risk of saying "fuck it, I'm going for it." (Excuse my language, please!)
Your health, mind and soul are all in connection with each other. When things are right and you believe in what you're doing it's almost as if there is a shift within yourself and with everything else in connection to yourself. When you become grounded within who you are, you become connected to yourself and the rest of the process. Sometimes you have to ground down, turn inward and face your core and what you want. Stay connected with yourself first and foremost and the rest will fall into place. ; )

All images via inspiration for wellbeing

No comments:

Post a Comment