Monday, August 15, 2011

Kale and Avocado Salad


Alas, as my meltdown (see previous post) subsided I went for a long run and magically it turned into a glorious Monday and I thought I would share this recipe. My favorite thing to eat this summer has been by far this kale and avocado salad. It's quick, easy and healthy. I love it.

Kale & Avocado Salad
Ingredients
1 small bunch kale
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp diced red onion
2 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
1 ripe avocado
½ cup diced cucumber
Chop the kale into bit size pieces or thin ribbon like pieces and place in a bowl. Place ina large bowl and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Using your hands, massage the saltinto the kale. This is the secret. If raw kale is a little much for you, this softens it. You’llnotice it starts to wilt because of the salt. Add olive oil, lemon, garlic and onion to thebowl and continue to toss with your hands Add the hemp seeds, avocado and cucumberwhen you’re ready to serve. Hemp seeds are optional. I also like adding pumpkin seedssometimes.
This salad recipe was how I converted from hating kale to loving kale… and now eatingit 4 or 5 times a week. If you’re still skeptical if you’ll like kale you could try this saladmixture in a whole wheat pita which breaks it up a bit.

Recipe via You Are What You Eat

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I haven't cooked with Kale much, but my roommate loves it so I need to try it. I'll be making it soon

    ReplyDelete